I have always enjoyed coleslaw. It is especially refreshing alongside the heavy, meat-laden barbecue meals that are so popular here in Texas. I created this recipe years ago in an effort to convert the coleslaw haters. If you a a cilantro hater then I just don’t know how to help you. But if it’s the cabbage that just doesn’t quite turn you on, I have the solution here. This salad is gorgeous when you take the time to shred red and green cabbage with a chef’s knife but is just as tasty with pre-chopped coleslaw mix. Creamy, crunchy, sweet and spicy, if you’re the type to pluck a cilantro leaf from the bunch and chew it while absentmindly chopping then this is the coleslaw recipe for you.
Cilantro Slawmakes 4 cups, prep 15 min, chill 20 min
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups green and red cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, about 8, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine buttermilk, mayo, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- In a very large bowl, combine cabbages, cilantro, onions, and jalapeno. Toss to combine.
- Pour dressing over and toss thoroughly. Serve as soon as possible. Salad will wilt and reduce down quite a bit the longer it sits.