I love to make pies for the holidays and one of my favorites is lemon meringue. There is nothing like a fresh lemony dessert after a long, heavy meal. The lemon curd base can get a little overly tart though, and if you don’t like meringue then, well, it’s kind of a deal breaker. This year, I made a lemon cream pie topped with sweetened whipped cream instead. It is still sweet/tart but the lemon pudding filling is creamy and smooth with a bright lemony flavor that’s not quite as lip-puckering as the lemon curd.
Sour Cream Lemon Piemakes 1 pie, prep 15min, cook 10 min, adapted from Recipezaar
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- whipped cream, for topping
- Carefully pat pie crust into a pie dish and flute the edges. Prick all over the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake at 350°F abour 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice, egg yolks and milk. Heat over medium, whisking constantly.
- Cook filling until very thick, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in butter.
- Allow filling to cool slightly, then stir in sour cream until well combined.
- Pour filling into pie shell and refrigerate until completely cold and set.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream before serving
Posted in Desserts