Despite all my efforts, my kids are just like all kids. They could happily subside on hot dogs and macaroni and cheese forever. When I make chicken nuggets from scratch, they eat them but complain most of the time that they like the “other kind” better. While macaroni and cheese isn’t something I want to eat a ton of, sometimes it is nice to have a meal end with clean plates and full bellies. I always serve this with some broccoli on the side and occasionally an extra salad or corn bread for the grown-ups.
Macaroni and Cheeseserves 6, prep 10 min, cook 20 min
- 16 oz small shell pasta, or elbows or any other pasta shape you like
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 lb deli American cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and your noodles.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Sprinkle flour over, stir and cook for several minutes.
- When butter and flour have cooked several minutes and the mixture is golden brown and bubbly, stir in milk.
- Stir and cook until smooth and thick. Season with salt to taste. You can also add mustard, cayenne, Tabasco, lemon pepper, etc.. to taste at this point.
- Stir in cheese until smooth and fully combined.
- Drain cooked noodles, stir into hot sauce. Serve.
American cheese is creamy and mild and melts wonderfully. I buy a block of it from the deli which is the least processed version, I don’t recommend using sliced American cheese. If you don’t have a source of good deli American cheese then I would recommend going with a mild cheddar. Finally, I always have both 1% and whole milk in the house and I have made this with both and there is no difference between the two, so use what you like!