This is a great, quick green chili made super easy with ground turkey breast. It also happens to be low-fat and full of protein, not that you’re in to that kind of thing. 😉
You can serve it with cornbread, garlic toast, brown rice or straight-up but don’t skip the sour cream!
Roasted Tomatillo and Turkey Chili
serves 6, prep 15, cook 1 hour
- 1.5 lb tomatillos, whole, papery skins removed
- 1.5 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 14 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped and divided
- sour cream and lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place the whole tomatillos on the baking sheet and roast in the hot oven for approximately 30 minutes or until tomatillos are blackened and blistered.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, brown together turkey breast meat, onion, jalapeño, and garlic until turkey meat is opaque and onions are translucent.
- Add green chilies and white beans to the meat mixture. Remove tomatillos from the oven and puree tomatillo skins, flesh and pan juices. Add to the meat mixture. For a more rustic texture (and less dishes), you can add tomatillos and juices directly to the pot and mash with a wooden spoon.
- Season mixture with cumin, salt and pepper. Add as much chicken broth as needed to moisten and loosen the mixture to the texture you like. Add half the cilantro to the pot and simmer 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add more cumin, salt and pepper as desired. Serve with sour cream, lime wedges and remaining cilantro sprinkled on top.