Using fresh kale in place of typical salad lettuces is a pretty exciting concept in my world. I am always looking for ways to include more good-for-you ingredients in my meals and sneaking it into a salad at lunch is especially convenient. Kale is perfect for work lunch salads because you can dress it the day before and it doesn’t wilt. I actually like to give it a day to marinate and soften just a bit. If you live in a town that has a Central Market you may have tried this wonderful salad from their to go food station. Theirs includes slivered almonds as well but the pepitas are enough for me. Crystallized ginger is some pretty potent stuff so be sure to chop it finely.
Kale Salad with Cranberries, Pepitas, and Crystallized Gingerserves 4, prep 20 min, make ahead one day
- 1 large head of kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger (about 8), finely chopped
1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp pure sesame oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup or honey (optional)
- Combine kale, cranberries, pepitas, and ginger.
- Combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, oil and sweetener if desired.
- Dress kale with orange juice mixture. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to serve.
Central Market’s salad is a little on the sweet side so I have made the sweetener optional. My grocery store had the pepitas, unsweetened cranberries, and ginger in the bulk area. If yours doesn’t, you can substitute Craisins and slivered almonds. Crystallized ginger can typically be found in the spice aisle.