I have been in the mood for salads lately-big, flavorful, complex salads. This one really fit the bill. The vegetables were flavorful and crisp, dressed with a thin peanut sauce. In fact, it would be delicious with noodles as well.
I love my julienne peeler. I actually dragged out the madoline last night to do these vegetables and quickly discovered it was much harder to use and yielded the same results as my little hand held peeler. I would suggest picking one up if you like your vegetables julienned in salads or sautees.
Bang Bang Chicken Saladserves 2-4, prep 20 min, cook 10 min, adapted from Sugar and Everything Nice
- 1 lb or 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp oil
- several dashes soy sauce
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek or Sriracha Chili Sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
For the Salad
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 1 celelry stalk, julienned
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, julienned
- 4 large mint leaves, julienned (about 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, sliced thinly
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced thinly into coins
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- Sautee chicken breasts in oil over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Splash with soy sauce and turn to coat. Remove from heat.
- Combine dressing ingredients, except water, in a large measuring cup, whisk to combine. Add water until dressing is thin and pourable.
- Prepare veggies for salad, toss together in a large bowl.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve over salad, drizzle with dressing.
Posted in Salads